Knowledge Base / Store / International Taxes


Please note, this KB is currently in draft form.


If you are an international (aka not a citizen of the USA) you must fill out a W-8BEN form if you will be redeeming more than $600 worth in points (works out to be 12000 points).

This form essentially states that you are not required to pay any income tax. The form will be kept by Curse and not submitted to the IRS. You will have to claim any income earned via the Rewards Program as income within your own country. These documents will be stored securely and the information will only be revealed to the IRS in event of an audit or as otherwise required by law.

Where to get the form

The one page W-8BEN form can be downloaded here. You need Adobe Acrobat Reader in order to view it.

Accompanying the one page W-8BEN are six pages of instructions if you wish to read them. This knowledge base article will attempt to help you fill out the form without spending time reading the instructions.

Filling out the form


Canada US Tax Treaty

Information for this taken from

Line Numbers:

  1. Your name.
  2. Canada
  3. Check off Individual. However, if you are working under a business name, provide your business name in Line 1 and check the appropriate type of entity in Line 3.
  4. Your address.
  5. Mailing address if different from Line 4.
  6. On Line 6 write in your US tax identification number (such as a Social Security Number, individual taxpayer identification number, or employer identification number). If you do not have one of these tax numbers, leave Line 6 blank. If you provide a US tax number, your Form W-8BEN will remain in effect until any information on the form becomes incorrect. If you leave the tax number blank, the form will remain in effect until the last day of the third year after you signed the form. (So if you sign the Form on July 13, 2009, then your Form W-8BEN will expire on December 31, 2012.)
  7. Provide your Canadian Social Insurance Number
  8. Leave blank
  9. Check 9a and write in "Canada". Check any other boxes that apply to you (if appropriate).
  10. Write in XVII and then 10 for the percent. For type of income write in "independent personal services." In space for an explanation, write in "individual is a resident of Canada and has no fixed place of business in the USA."

Do we write in 0 as we are not having tax withheld?

If you are operating under a business name, provide your Canadian corporate tax identification number in Box 7, check the appropriate boxes on Line 9, and change the wording on Line 10 to say "business is a resident..." and so forth.


Date created
Nov 25, 2009